Friday, May 7, 2010

Iron man 2 (don't worry, no spoilers. Well, maybe one at the end.)

So.  Iron Man 2 came out today.  I went to see it with a few friends this morning, and I have to admit, it was a damn fine movie.  Not really any overt product placement (No Pepsi cans sitting around randomly, or big shots of cars, etc.)  Really great animation (as always), a deeper look into what makes Tony tick (and no, I don't mean his "battery"), introduction of some more shield characters, War Machine, explosions, robots, and guns.  Did I mention guns?  Lots of guns.  Even a few cameos by jets!  Oh, and a special appearance by Edward's Air Force Base (neat for me at least... I live relatively near there.)

However.  It wasn't the action movie I was hoping for.  No Iron Man and War Machine rompin' and stompin' through the middle east war zones, no jet to... battle suit... fights, no helicopters getting torn up.  **Depending on how hard core you are, you might consider my next few points spoilers.  I don't, but just be warned**  Just battle suit on battle suit, battle suit on robot battle suit, and person on person.

By the way, Scarlet Johansson is friggin hot in this movie.  'Scuse me while I wipe the drool off my face.  In the words of Tony, "I want one."  Okay, back to professionalism.

Most super hero movies don't need much more drama than the good old bad guy creates problem good guy solves it formula, but I feel that adding in a 'rival' female lead was good for the movie as a whole.  I laughed, I smiled from ear to ear, I went "DAMN that was awesome!" and at no point did I go "yawn get on with it".  Could there have been more action?  Definitely.  Did there need to be?  No, but it sure would have been nice.

So what was my favorite part of the movie?  After the credits, which I'll get to in a moment.

My overall rating for the movie is a 9.5 out of 10.  Definitely not my favorite movie of all time ever, but right up there with my favorites.  Only reason it doesn't get a 10 out of 10 is because I wanted to see... if not more action, then at least some different action.  That may not be fair, but damnit, it's my blog!

Bottom line, it's worth your 8 dollars to go see it in theaters.  I didn't see the digital... super... whatever version, just the regular old version, so I can't tell you which is gonna be better, but I assume the digital one will be slightly crisper, both sound and video wise.

******SPOILER ALERT!***** Stop reading fool!
So what did we get at the end of the credits?

Thor.  Yup.  I was hoping for Captain America, but we got Thor, and that's okay by me!  I'm excited.  Still super hyped for Captain America (and the Avengers after that).  I'm sure most of us have seen the leaked Thor still image, but that's not what we got to see in the teaser clip.  We see a crater in the middle of the New Mexico Desert, and Thor's hammer laying there.  I squealed like a giddy school girl when I saw it.

So until next time, happy reading, and remember:  Only you can help Dr. Steel take over the world =)

No comments:

Post a Comment