Saturday, May 22, 2010

My bad.

I meant to write a book review for the Dresden Files, but ended up doing one for Bad Company 2.  I still fully intend to write one, but I've got a lot of junk flying around right now.  Probably be starting a new job this week, always have school work, housework, etc., and I have other responsibilities to close friends.

So I'll get to it, no worries.  Until then though, I'll be keeping posts short and to the point, probably more philosophical diving boards than anything else.

For example, the other night I got to thinking about the nature of society, and more specifically death and leaving things behind.

It's like... while we operate within our little social group of friends, we try to think of things to say that will impress, but not always say what we mean for fear of being ostracized.  I've been forcing myself to get out of this habit for years now, and I've lost more than one group of friends to not keeping quiet when something bothers me.  I don't regret it though... if they can't accept me the same way I accepted them with all their flaws, they can keep leading their meaningless bullshit material wealthy lives.  But I digress.

A better example:  I really dislike crude jokes.  Racist jabs aren't too bad if they're done in good fun; i.e. white guys can't jump, asians can't drive, etc.  Especially sexist jokes get on my nerves, or crude comments.  However, I caught myself making a crude comment to 'fit in' to my social circle better... and it made me sick to my stomach.  Everyone laughed because it is what we've been conditioned to do, again to fit in... but it didn't sit well with me at all.

Food for thought.  Sit down and see just how often you do something to fit in.  I did, and I was unpleasantly surprised.  I found that I had three groups of friends... and three distinct personalities to go with each group.  All were me, but they were different masks I put on to fit in slightly better for fear of rejection.

Until next time, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment