Monday, May 17, 2010

A Wizard, a Cop, and Knight walk into a bar...

This is neither a bad joke nor a DnD modern campaign setting... Although, I think I know what my next game is gonna be!

I'm an avid reader.  I love Sci Fi and Fantasy.  Don't get me wrong, there's definitely some good mystery, non-fiction, and all those other types out there, but Fantasy (and by extension Sci Fi, since it is arguably fantasy as well) is where my heart lies.  What I want to talk about today is one of my favorite series, The Dresden Files.


Some of you may have heard of the Dresden Files thanks to a neat sci fi channel series.  I saw a few episodes, but I don't think a tv show could really do Butcher's work justice(pun intended).  Seriously though, it was fun to watch, but like any series or movie for that matter, the book is better.

Harry Dresden is a Wizard for hire in modern day Chicago.  The book is written in a sort of noire style, and masterfully done.  Is it the greatest masterpiece of all time?  Probably not.  Is it a damn fine read?  You bet.  When I get a hold of the next novel in the series, I can't put it down, and usually end up pulling an all nighter to finish it.  Nothing is left to "oh, it must have been magic".  Spoiler ahead, depending on how hardcore you are about spoilers... In one scene, Harry is fighting some vampires (not sparkly ones, think Dracula on steroids, and more monstrous) shoots some fire, and knocks out one of the building's walls, bathing the vampires in sunlight.  On accident.  His response?  "Oops.  That was cool."

Good times, good reads, and definitely a series I keep track of.  Also great reads, but totally different subject matter, the Codex Alera.

Till next time, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment