Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sometimes I hate being motivated

It's like no matter what I do I either seem like I don't care or I care too much.  If I'm motivated to do something, for example getting a job, and I call back and do follow ups... the employer gets to the point where they recognize my name and associate it with pestering.  Or, they never remember my name and just don't care.  Or when I call in the traditionally proper amount of time, the position is filled or they just give me the "we'll call you if we have a position for you," which of course means that they don't have a position for me.

I think what irritates me most is when the potential employer gets mad at you for following up.  Personally, I see that it means I care enough about the job to call in and ask if I'm still in the running for it... but apparently most employers just see it as an annoyance.  I understand that entry level jobs get tons of calls daily.  I also realize that a lot of people call in just because they think that's what's expected.  I'm not sure if any one else feels the same way as me, but getting a dear john letter or response on the phone is really disheartening... it's like I'm not even a person.

I once spent 3 hours sitting in a Target waiting for an interview because they forgot about me.  I asked more than once and they just said "we're getting to you".  I finally went up and asked the management what was going on, and if I wasn't getting the interview I needed to leave, get something to eat, and make sure my brother got home okay.  Well, they just said "What?  No one has applied today."  Oh really?  Well I'm sorry all this time I spent here must have been me hallucinating.  Long story short I finally got the interview, got the second interview, and both interviewers recommended me and put a note on the forms that they wanted me to work here AND that I was made to wait several hours for my interviews.  A dear john postcard showed up a week later.  A guy who I know did pot in high school... a lot... got a job the same week.  I call hacks.

Rants aside, I still like Target.  I didn't for a while but I understood it wasn't the front line people that axed me, it was corporate.  Now I have my third interview for overnight position so wish me luck.  Whee!

No comments:

Post a Comment